Marie D. Carroll, 99
The Guest Book is expired.
LIMERICK -- Marie Diane (Cote) Carroll, 99, a longtime resident of Limerick and the holder of the Boston Post Cane for the town of Limerick, died Jan. 9, 2010, at her home on Washington Street with her family at her side.
She was born in St. Fortunat, Quebec, Canada on Oct. 4, 1910, the daughter of Francois and Jesse (Trottier) Cote, the youngest of 15 children. She attended school in Canada and at St. Ignatius School in Sanford.
She first worked in the Goodall Worsted Mills in Sanford and later in the Limerick Yarn Mills, where in 1929, she met her future husband, John P. Carroll. They were married in 1931 at St. Matthew's Church in Limerick. They were lifelong residents of Limerick where they raised their three sons John, Frank and Ronald, and lifelong communicants of St. Matthew's Church.
In the 1960s, Mrs. Carroll worked a number of years for General Electric which had a plant in Limerick. She later became the secretary/bookkeeper in the family gas and oil business and in their real estate enterprises. She and her husband owned and developed most of the western side of Sokokis Lake. They built and sold many cottages on the road along the lake fittingly named Carroll Lane. There is another street in town named after them entitled John and Marie Drive, which is one of the most scenic streets in the area.
Mrs. Carroll and her husband enjoyed travelling. They made several trips to Europe and had vacations in California, Florida, Ohio, Washington, D.C., a cruise on the S.S. Norway, and a visit to Expo '67 in Montreal. Two of their favorite places were Ireland and England.
Mrs. Carroll had many hobbies, most notably knitting, crocheting, braiding
Marie D. Carroll
rugs and playing cards. She was an avid Red Sox and Celtics fan, and she rarely missed watching their games. She made frequent references to the time she and her husband saw Larry Bird play in a game they attended in Boston. She also enjoyed the theater and saw a number of performances at Maine State Theater in Brunswick and at the Ogunquit Playhouse, where she once met Van Johnson, one of her favorite actors.
Her son Frank recalled that his mother was a very kind, compassionate and dedicated wife and mother. In her 80s, after being told that her husband had but three weeks to live, she cared for him in their home until his death three years later.
Besides her husband, Mrs. Carroll was predeceased by an infant daughter Louise, a son John H. Carroll; and by three grandchildren, John P. Carroll II, Susan Carroll and Jennifer Carroll. Survivors include two sons, Frank Carroll and his wife Barbara of Limerick, Ronald Carroll and his wife Joanne of Brunswick; daughter-in-law Dolores of Limerick; 15 grandchildren; 29 great-grandchildren; one great-great-grandchild; and several nieces and nephews.
Relatives and friends are invited to call on Monday from 6-8 p.m. at St. Matthew's Church, 10 Dora Lane, Limerick, where a Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated on Tuesday at 10 a.m. Burial will be in the spring in St. Ignatius Cemetery in Sanford. Arrangements are under the direction of the Lafrance-Lambert & Black Funeral Home, 29 Winter St., Sanford. Condolences may be expressed at www.blackfuneralhomes.com.
Those planning an expression of sympathy are asked to consider:
The Limerick Rescue Squad
P.O. Box 195
Limerick, Maine 04048
Published in Portland Press Herald/Maine Sunday Telegram on Jan. 10, 2010